<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: What's Going On With My Writing?

Saturday, March 18, 2017

What's Going On With My Writing?



I know I've given some little updates every now and then and wrap-ups at the end of the month, but I really wanted to do a post where I told you everything that's going on with my writing.

(well, maybe not everything. like how I want to write a first draft and edit two novels at once and how my sequel is MESS right now and i just want to scrap the whole last 25%, which is weird, because it's usually the middle 50% I like to scrap...)



Anyway:


WIP #1 FOUND


Ha, yeah, I did make that cover. Yay, me xD

Currently:

Found is at beta readers right now. I'm getting it back on April 4th, so I'll be doing Camp NaNo with it. I'm planning on organizing all the feedback, restructuring my scenes, then going in for some deep-editing. (which will probably take like two months or more :P We'll see how well I can reorganize all the scenes)


Future plans:
For those of you who have been following me for a while, you might have heard that I'm trying to publish Found this year. I've been thinking about it a lot, planning a ton, and came up with a release day of sometime in October.

Sounds fantastic, right?

It did to me.

It didn't to my schedule.

Everything would have to be perfectly timed, no room for mistakes or unscheduled breaks or life happening (which was unrealistic from the start, because #lifealwayshappens). One peek at the looming summer made me nervous though. I have no idea where I'm going to be, the school year looks...like school, and I'm going to be working with (or for xD) my dad in July, and I'm going to learn how to drive. *gasp*

Oh, and I also wanted to write the final book of Dareas Trilogy for Camp NaNo in July.

And independently publishing my first book on top of all that? Learning how to format, finding an editor, getting a cover designer, sending out advanced reader copies....

After a bit more contemplation, discussions, and prayer, I've decided to wait until next year to publish Found. That way, I can save up for a cover designer, be thorough with my content editing, and maybe do a second round of betas. I don't want to rush this. After all, it is a journey, as the subtitle of my blog implies.

I did almost choose the word patience for 2017 xD

So, stick around, and I'm aiming to have Found out in the world by February 2018


WIP #2 OUTCAST (2nd book in the trilogy)


Yep. Another cover. IT NEEDED TO BE VAGUE. No spoilers on my blog

Currently:

I'm revising the 2nd draft right now. I'm going to try and get that done by the end of this month, then set it aside before making the actual revisions until May or something.


Future plans:

Depending on how much work Found needs, I'm going to have Outcast alpha-read in May/June, make revisions over the summer, and perhaps give it to beta readers in the fall.

There would be a slight possibility that I could publish it October 2018, but that's just me dreaming ;-)


WIP #3 SURVIVOR (final book in the trilogy)

I know it looks like the other one. But I just loved this too much and it's so PERFECT.

Currently:
 
This one isn't written yet, but I'm planning to write it for Camp NaNo in July. (and aiming for a wild 140,000 words, but we'll see XD)

That's it so far. (aside from the crazy writer in me screaming with wild excitement over epic plot twists and outstanding character arcs)



WIP #4 CONVICTS (book one of a fantasy series)


Sorry, BUT I'M SO PROUD OF THIS COLLAGE.

Currently: 

I'm plotting/world-building/creating this one right now. I'm super excited for it, but will only be working on it randomly over the next six months or so. Hopefully it will be my NaNo novel in November.


Random WIP #5


 
(okay, so this is actually a "secret" project of mine, but I was making a collage for it the other day, and it turned out so awesome that I just had to share it.)

You didn't just see that.

***********


And now...for those long-awaited snippets I promised! I changed them to 1st person present though, since I don't want to give spoilers to my beta readers :P



******

 Golden stalks whisper endless tales, bending from companion to companion as I push through them, blazing a little trail. The grass swallows up any evidence of my presence, concealing every footprint as its tentacles trail across my knees. The sun’s harsh glare draws pain to my furrowed brow, but I just raise an arm until it hurts, then replace it with the other. No heat wavers on the horizon, but the shifting grass masquerades distant shade.

Wind still races across the plain in playful games and stalks bow accordingly as the sun falls behind the edge of the universe. I jog onward to a lone tree, the only stranger in a distant land, and tap my fingers across the bark––a greeting of friends.

Sinking down, I strike a few rocks over sticks, cupping my hands until the new flames grow. The gale beings to take them, but I block it with my body. The grass doesn't catch. Gusts have long-since kissed my cheeks to rawness as my eyes bore into the protected fire, searching for answers.

But only for times ahead.

A moon rises with day-bright beams, filtering through the skinny leaves of the tree. I scan the horizon for any figures, but only a sea of blue grass teases me back. My throat narrows, pushing tears to my eyes, but I lay back before any can fall. Stars usually smile down at me––or they smirk, like tonight. I count them

One. Two. Three.
One running. Four. Five. All alone….


**************

 A thin trail of smoke spews from the vents of the ancient oak as I approach. My eyeballs ache as I stare at it, watching the waste float away. What is in it? My feet drag across leaves as I stagger closer. Shadows shift as Holly’s roots fly around inside, busy making mixtures.

Witch.

I don’t usually name-call or use words like that lightly, but various labels and insults rage through my mind now, unchecked by exhaustion. My quaking fingers grasp my dagger, but I remove one hand to pound on the outside of the tree. I won’t enter that den of suffering for the life of me.


**************

“DO IT!”

I run down the path, my feet catching on objects concealed by the snow. Ice sends me tumbling, and a mixture of sand and snow enters my mouth as my chin slams down. I scramble up and run, right alongside the screaming monster of the ocean. Black waves leap toward me, edged in a white foam that sings a siren’s song. Living. Haunted. Approaching.

Bones scatter the beach ahead, victims of the sea. I grasp the first one I trip on, and a loud crack splits the air as I wrench it from the ground. Then another. And another. Five bones nearly as tall as me perch on my shoulder as I run back, my lungs burning, and my clashing thoughts threatening to tear me apart.

At the top of the steep incline, I collapse, but drag myself forward until the screeching of the water vanishes. Everything goes black.

I wake up covered in snow and freezing, only kept warm by a deer resting near me. I jerk back, and the spotted buck stares before rising and lumbering away. The thing… My heart thrashes, but I fix my eyes on the stolen bones.

Defense.

*********


 And I chose some of the most cryptic, haunting parts, I believe xD Feel free to give these unedited things feedback in the comments!

<3

Audrey Caylin


Enough about me! What's going on with your writing? Any plans for publishing one day? How are your WIPs going?

Labels: ,

41 Comments:

At March 18, 2017 at 7:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH I ADORE IT WHEN WRITING BLOGGERS TALK ABOUT THE BOOKS / PROJECTS THEY'RE WORKING ON!!!!

Your covers and collages are really simplistic and I adore them especially 'Survivor' and 'Outcast's! The symbolism behind the one white leaf amidst the darker leaves and vice versa.... whoa don't get me started on the great symbolism.

I'm currently plot outlining this new book idea I have! It's a huge struggle since this is the first time I'm really in-depth plotting a story before I write but it relieves so much of first drafting anxiety of not knowing where the story is going!

Your snippets are great too! It's nice to read and observe your writing style <3 The way you layer the lengths of the sentences really made the story compelling to read.

I'm sorry for freaking out but aaaah writing posts and updates are my favorites!

- Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

 
At March 18, 2017 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR SNIPPETS, AUDREY!
Your books sound amazing, and your collages are great!
-Clara

 
At March 18, 2017 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Sarah Margaret said...

OKAY. so are you seriously going to write 140k next month?

...HOOOOOOOWWWWW. you amazing human you

I loved this update and omw are those your notebooks? SUCH CUTENESS

 
At March 18, 2017 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Marrok Macintyre said...

Oooo fun post! (I may or may not do something like this soon) but man it's great to hear how your WIP are coming! I am also hoping of getting my WIP punished during this year *hoping everything works out* writing coming along nicely for me. The class I'm in seems to be leaving me with more writing time! woohoo! I pray stuff that needs to be done for your release goes smoothly!

 
At March 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM , Blogger Micaiah Saldaña said...

OH MY GOODNESS AUDREY THIS IS EXCITING!!! I can't wait for Found to be published (and I hope to beta read all the other lovely novels). And your covers are REALLY pretty! =D By the way, I should be getting Found and my answers to your questions back to you this weekend. =)

I'm SO EXCITED for all of the amazing writing stuff you're going to have going on! =D

Micaiah
www.notebooksandnovels.com

 
At March 18, 2017 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Jonathan said...

The snippets you shared are really good!
I'm hoping to publish my WIP in October/November. It will probably be closer to November though.

 
At March 18, 2017 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Martin's Virtual Blog said...

Looks so cool so far!

 
At March 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Caitlin Lambert said...

Excited for you, Audrey! I love hearing how my fellow writer friends are doing on their WIPs. Your books sound great... Can't wait till you publish them! I'm in line to snatch one ;)

 
At March 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

EEEEP. THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M GLAD YOU LIKED IT.

Symbolism = awesomeness. I could go on about it forever too!

That's awesome! Plotting is definitely a good way to avoid the stress of having to add filler scenes. It's a great way to make NaNo months a little more fun too xD

THANK YOU. <3

 
At March 18, 2017 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU, CLARA! That means a lot <3

 
At March 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

That would be me being WAAAAAAY too ambitious XD I mean, if I have next to nothing else to work on, it might work, but don't count on it :P

*glances at dozens of other beat-up notebooks* *clears throat* Thank you xD (I wish I could find more like those!)

 
At March 18, 2017 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Aaaah thank you, Marrok!

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. I WANT TO READ YOUR STUFF. I hope everything goes great for you too!

 
At March 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU, MICAIAH. I'm so excited to keep going on this journey.

Oh you're so awesome! Thank you! *hugs*

<3

 
At March 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Jonathan!

Wow! That's really exciting. I'll be looking forward to then! :D

 
At March 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU.

Thanks for reading!

 
At March 18, 2017 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Awww, thank you so much, Caitlin. That means a lot <3

I hope you have a great weekend! Thanks for reading!

 
At March 18, 2017 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Karyssa Norton said...

Ahhhh! This was amazing, I love this! :D Honestly, I really like it when bloggers do posts about their WIPs. I may have to do something like this myself at some point.

I hope everything goes well for you! :)

 
At March 18, 2017 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Abigail Lennah said...

Ah! Girl, you have so much going on in the writing world, it's awesome. Cool beans for you. <3

xoxo Abigail Lennah
ups & downs

P.S. I TOTALLY RELATE SO MUCH WITH PINTEREST AESTHETIC BOARDS WHAT

 
At March 19, 2017 at 12:24 AM , Blogger Jem Jones said...

140,000 words?? you're one of THOSE NaNo-ers?! *watches you with narrowed eyes* *and pretends the 4k November total wasn't completely my fault*

Your snippets... which of your stories are they from? And you say they're unedited? They're so smooth and polished!

My WIPs are... not going terribly well. *thinks back to November* *ignores November* *also ignores that I haven't written seriously since then* That will change, of course! Camp's coming up!

*nervous laughter*

But it was very interesting to read about your stories. You've obviously put a heap of effort into your writing!

 
At March 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Savannah Grace said...

YAY, you posted about your writing plans! *bounces happily* I was excited to see this pop up in my Blogger feed ;). And it sounds like you have a TON of awesome stuff planned! I LOVE the covers that you made, they're GORGEOUS.

Also, YOUR SNIPPETS. I have no words - NO WORDS, AUDREY. They're gorgeous and beautiful and perfect and I would TOTALLY buy any book that contains them, not even kidding. Thank you so much for sharing them, I LOVED reading them <3 <3 <3. Here's wishing you the best of luck with all your writing plans!

~ Savannah
scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

 
At March 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your writing is really good! I'll keep an eye out on your story.

Eh, my writing... I just hope I transfer more words from paper to screen.

 
At March 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Jane Maree said...

EEP YES. So much cool in those snippets Audrey!!! *applauds*

 
At March 19, 2017 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Eleanor said...

YOUR WRITING IS AMAZING, HOLY CRAP. *eagerly awaits 2018*

As for me publishing? Hahaha....no. Not for a long time, anyway. Recently, I totally reimagined a lot of my works, mainly my sorcery series and Michelangelo retelling.

Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

 
At March 19, 2017 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you! I'm thinking of maybe doing one once a month, or maybe I'll start a newsletter... ;-)

Thanks! <3

 
At March 19, 2017 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eeeep! Thank you <3

I KNOW RIGHT? For some reason, I haven't done many aesthetic ones until now and now I'm addicted XD

 
At March 19, 2017 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Eeep! Thank you! The snippets came from the sequel, which is currently "under-construction" (to put it simply)

Hey, as long as you're writing, that's awesome. And Camp is a great time to get some word-counts down. You've got this <3

P.S. Welcome to my blog! And I ADORE your profile picture. OWLS ARE THE BEST.

 
At March 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

AAAAAAAH. THANK YOU SAVANNAH YOU'RE SO KIND. Your comment just made me so happy and thank you thank you thank you <3 <3 <3

 
At March 19, 2017 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you :)

Oooh, you write on paper?!? That's awesome! Sometimes I try to get words down in notebooks because it's so relaxing. Super cool that you do that.

Thanks for reading!

 
At March 19, 2017 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

THANK YOU, Jane :D

(I'm now starting to see you on basically every blog I follow xD It's so cool to see you around!)

 
At March 19, 2017 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you!

Wow. O.O Those sound seriously awesome!

 
At March 20, 2017 at 3:45 AM , Blogger Jane Maree said...

SAME HERE THOUGH. XD It's amazing how often I see your face pop up and go 'wait, she reads /this/ one too??' xP

 
At March 20, 2017 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Amy said...

EEEEK AUDREY I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! You are so disciplined and passionate about your writing that whenever I read one of your posts like this, I come away feeling like I must get back to the grindstone and work on my own novels!
I freakin' LOVE your snippets and collages too! Gosh they're beautiful, and I desperately need more of your writing!

(Sorry if I'm a bit hyper?! Blame the coffee I just drank ;).

Happy HAPPY writing ahead! <3

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

 
At March 20, 2017 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

EEEEEP. THANK YOU SO MUCH AMY!!! <3 <3 That means a lot <3

(haha that's okay xD)

Thanks for reading! :D

 
At March 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such a great space!! The design is divine and I love your posts.
Congrats on all of your books! I absolutely adore your covers. Very aesthetic. Also, fantastic collages. <3
Rock on, girlfriend. <3

Sophy
lavender & blue

 
At March 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Aw, thank you so much, Sophia! <3

Thanks for reading!

(btw, I love the name of your blog)

 
At March 25, 2017 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Katie Grace said...

Wait. Um. 140k...??? Can I have a link to your NaNo profile? I want to stalk your stats. XD
The most I've ever done is 105k, and that was crazy difficult. YOU CAN DO THIS. I have much respect for you. :P

katie grace
a writer's faith

 
At March 25, 2017 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Abby M said...

I love this so much!!!

 
At March 25, 2017 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I'm planning on having 4ish POV characters, and I've learned that for every one you add, your document gets longer :P Here are my links: NaNoWriMo. Camp NaNo.

(gosh, now the pressure is on for me.... ;-)

AAAH. THANK YOU. <3

 
At March 25, 2017 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Abby! :D Thanks for reading <3

 
At May 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Rachelle Rea Cobb said...

Love hearing about all your WIPs, Audrey! Sounds like you have a lot going on--and going well! Best wishes on your writing. :)

 
At May 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Rachelle! I'm definitely busy, but I'm having a lot of fun writing these stories. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home