<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: This Past Month: February

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

This Past Month: February


(a.k.a....stressful? too-fast? I don't know :P)

FEBRUARY IS OVER *cheers* *screams* *runs around in circles dancing wildly*

Here we go:



I sent my novel off to beta readers, so I'd call it a successful month :D I watched my baby fly through the Internet universe to unsuspecting readers on the eve of the 20th. Only once I'd sent all the emails did I sit back and realize "I just gave my novel to other people."



That was definitely a huge step. I'm looking forward to working through some feedback once I get it back in April.

Besides that, I finally picked up the nerve to start brainstorming my fantasy novel, Convicts. I admit that I was pretty lost in world-building at first, because I haven't done it in years. xD I got a neat notebook to keep all my information organized though, and I ALREADY ADORE MY CHARACTERS. (which is a good thing, because I'll probably be hating them eventually)

I finished my sequel. *collapses* It came in around 102,000 words, and it took me about two months total to write. Because of that, I think I forgot what half the scenes are, as I usually like to finish my first drafts within 30 days. After letting it sit for several days (how can some people do that for a month?!?!), I went back to the outline and am now cleaning up my first draft messiness.

 




Ha! Look at that! I added a "reading" section to my monthly wrap-up! I've realized that I really need to get more reading in, besides my outlines and blog posts :P So my reading stats for this month are....

2 books. (or was it 1? Might be 2 by the time this post goes out).

I read an independent author's book (bc I read every indie author's book), read several dozen samples on Kindle (bc that's just my thing), and began to reread A Time To Speak. I also started Mere Christianity and Pride and Prejudice, though I've barely made a dent in them. I'm hoping that I'll find more time to sit down and read in March.


(I've decided to make my wrap-up posts the "I'm sharing some of my messy photography" posts)


For myself, it wasn't a big blogging month. I finished up my Getting To The Heart Of Your Story series, then had a vote on what I should write next. The winner was "first drafts," so keep an eye out for a post on that in the next several months. Here are all my posts for February, in case you missed any:










I also read some outstanding posts on other blogs.

One of my all-time favorite authors, Nadine Brandes, wrote a post about being a perfectionist and an author at the same time, and how that just doesn't work.

Katie Grace @A Writer's Faith did an amazing recap about La La Land and the ones who dream. GO READ IT. 

Hannah @Ink Blots and Coffee Stains posted about a cool thing called #projectcanvas.

Amy @A Magical World Of Words started an awesome collaboration with other book bloggers. 

I wish I could mention everyone's posts, but I think you'd be here reading the list all morning ;-)







I'm not quite sure how to wrap this part up. I had deadlines for applications piled on top of getting my book to beta readers, betaing other novels and writing courses, and school. Ugh.

I found out that I have a bruised bone from a bike crash I took several months ago. Not fun, but I won't be competing on my mountain bike this year. That leaves more time for hiking though, which I really want to do more of. 

I realized the importance of sleep and not doing critical thinking at every moment of the day. #crashandburn xD 

I've become addicted to Hillsong United's newest album, Of Dirt and Grace. GO LISTEN TO IT.

I'm glad this month and all it's craziness of decision-making and thinking is over. ;-)

Oceans + pastel clouds = awesomeness



Well, I'm very excited to rework Outcast and brainstorm my new novel. I'm hoping to be in blogsphere a little more, as toward the end of the month it got so hard to keep up on everyone's posts.

However, I'm thinking of making a few changes to my "schedule." I'm going to be disappearing off the face of the Internet on Sundays now. I realized that I need time to step back and get re-centered for the week ahead. If you're a blogger who posts on Sundays, don't freak out if I don't come by and read your posts or reply to comments here; I'll be back on Monday morning to jump into the craziness again ;-) 

Hopefully March will be filled with lots of writing and reading and breathing. I was reading the first 500 words of my novel aloud to my mom the other day, and she commented on how I don't breathe when I talk.

I honestly never noticed that XD

<3

Audrey Caylin


Anyways, there's my month in the least chaotic way I could present it. How was your February?

Labels:

21 Comments:

At February 28, 2017 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Martin's Virtual Blog said...

How do you manage to read 2 books a month! There is so much school work, it takes me around 2 months to finish one book. :( Also, I agree, 2017 is going by so fast!

 
At February 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Wow, busy month! Congrats on the writing, you seriously inspire me so much <3 I haven't touched my NaNo novel for a few weeks now because my inner editor was just getting too much. I always end up hating my writing when I read it, and I'm struggling to get past that :(

Have a wonderful March, Audrey! Good luck with all the writing :) <3

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

 
At February 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Bethany R. said...

It was about as chaotic as yours but you accomplished way more! XD Congratulations on everything and remember to BREATHE! It's a good thing to do. ;) Have a delightful March, Audrey!

Bethany
bethanyr4Him.blogspot.com

 
At February 28, 2017 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Karyssa Norton said...

You're reading "Mere Christianity" and "Pride and Prejudice"? I loved those books.

How do you not breathe when you talk? Do you hold your breath or something? I just tried to do that... and I can't do it. :P

It seems like you had a great month. :) I hope March treats you well. :D

 
At February 28, 2017 at 4:14 PM , Blogger autumn said...

February sounds like it was a crazy month for you! It was so insanely busy for me too, and I felt like I never quiet got caught up on the blogging world. :P But I loved reading this post to catch up on how your month went.

THE IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP YES. Wow, yes, I've been learning that too, tbh. My mind is always running and so I've found that it's really important to calm it down and RELAX. But it's hard xD

ALSO CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR SEQUEL!!!! That's the best thing ever. I've been working on my first draft for a few months now and it's pretty near awful. I NEED TO SIT DOWN AND JUST DO IT ALREADY. *sigh*

Have a great March!

 
At February 28, 2017 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I barely finished #2 last night :P Schoolwork definitely takes up WAY too much time. I think that's why people invented novellas ;-)

Every year seems to get faster and faster, that's for sure!

 
At February 28, 2017 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Oh no, inner editor monsters! :( I've found that the best way to beat them is to read some of my writing that I believe is at least sort of good, and remind myself that I AM getting better. Writing is a super long journey with its highs and lows, but I love the high so much :)

Thank you so much! Same for you! :D

 
At February 28, 2017 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I think a lot of people have had chaotic Februarys. I'm glad you survived as well xD

Breathing? What is this "breathing" you speak of? ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!

<3

 
At February 28, 2017 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

AHHH, YES, THEY'RE AWESOME (even though I'm still on the introduction of Mere Christianity XD)

I think my words come out so fast that I forget to pause and take a breath. I just have so much I want to say and I want to say it fast so I can say more ;-) (which is probably why I like typing because I can write way faster than I can talk :P)

Have a great March! :D

 
At February 28, 2017 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Aw, thank you! Blogging started to slip for me toward the end as well.

Ha-ha, SLEEP. YES. It's almost like we get into the habit of thinking hard 24/7 and when we tell ourselves to slow down, our minds are just like "how do we do that?" XD

DO THE THING. You've got this!

<3

 
At March 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Sarah Margaret said...

dude okay wait. you wrote 102k in two months?

...

HOW? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS like gurrrlll - pure amazingness there. i want your powers.

february sounds like it was great!! hope you have a lovely March as well <33

sarah margaret
sarah » the introverted extrovert

 
At March 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Jonathan said...

Congratulations on finishing your sequel, Audrey!
I totally understand about letting your novel sit. I made it two weeks before I was ready to pick it up mine.

 
At March 2, 2017 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

EEEP. THANK YOUUUUUU. I'm now digging through the incoherent sludge that is my first draft. I guess I just like to procrastinate on everything in order to write ;-)

Thank you! Good luck with your march as well!

<3

(Oh, and thanks for all the comments. Super fun <3)

 
At March 2, 2017 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Whoops. *March*

 
At March 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you, Jonathan!
I find it hard to let my novel remain so messy for more than a week. Except for the novel I wrote for Nation Novel Writing Month. I haven't touched that since December... XD

Have a great March!

 
At March 2, 2017 at 7:46 PM , Blogger Marrok Macintyre said...

Oh wow sounds like a productive month! You already finished the sequel? *dies*... *comes back to say something* man congrats on that! so hyped that your getting all this done so fast. Oh I totally get the cutting off the net. like whenever I don't need to be on the computer I try not use it (hence why my novel isn't finished yet. plus college). I hope that it works out for you *goes back to being dead*.... X.X

 
At March 2, 2017 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Thank you! I'm glad something productive came out of that craziness!

Yeah. I had to do it for a day bc I was literally gone from 8am to 8pm and was so tired when I got back that I couldn't check email or anything. It felt sort of freeing to look at my computer and say "I don't have the energy for you tonight." xD

Don't die! Your novel is counting on you! ;-) Just ten words a day and soon you'll have 50,000!

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At March 3, 2017 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Hannah White said...

"In the least chaotic way I could present it" BAAAHAHA. This made me laugh XP

I'M SO SORRY I MISSED YOUR BETA SIGN UPS. UGH. I am forever weeping :( I was really bad about reading blogs this month but I WILL DO BETTER. *nods to self* And don't feel bad about your book total. Heheeeeehehe I only read one book too, so *pats*

 
At March 4, 2017 at 4:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAND FEBRUARY IS OVER AAAH.

Congratulations on getting to the beta readers step and finishing your novel's sequel! Thanks for linking to some great posts and songs. I'll check them out soon :)

February was decent in reading terms, but not writing wise. I'm hoping to catch up this March and especially summer 2017!

- Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

 
At March 4, 2017 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

DON'T WORRY. I have a sequel and might need a round two of betas ;-)

Oh, I'm sorry about your book total too. Let's try to do some reading this month!

Thanks for commenting!

 
At March 4, 2017 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

YES. AAAAAH.

Thank you! :D

I think summer is my favorite time to write! I hope you get lots and lots of words this month and this summer!

<3

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home